Statement of Faith
Grace Brethren Statement of Faith
We of the Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches, in harmony with our historic position, believing the Bible, the whole Bible and nothing but the Bible to be our infallible rule of faith and of practice, and feeling our responsibility to make known the divine message of the Bible, present the following articles as a statement of those basic truths taught in the Bible which are common to our Christian faith and practice.
1.The Bible: the Word of God, the sixty-six Books of the Old and New Testaments, verbally inspired in all parts and wholly without error as originally given of God
(2Timothey 3:16; 2Peter 1:21)
2.The One True God:existing eternally as three persons--the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Luke 3:22; Matthew 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14)
3.The Lord Jesus Christ:His preexistence and deity (John 1:1-3), incarnation by the virgin birth (John1:14;Matthew 1:18-23), sinless life (Hebrews 4:15), substitutionary death (2 Corinthians5:21), bodily resurrection (lUke 24:36-43), Ascension into heaven and present ministry (Hebrews4 :14-16) and coming again ( Acts1:11).
4.The Holy SpiritHis personality (John 16:7-15), deity (Acts 5:3-4) and His work in eacch believer, baptism and indwelling at the moment of regeneration(1Corinthians12:13; Romans 8:9) and filling (Ephesians 5:18) to empower for Christian life and service (Ephesians 3:16; Acts 1:8; Galations5:22-23).
5. Man:his direct creation in the image of God (Genesis 1:26-28), his subsequent fall into sin resulting in spiritual death (Genesis 3:1-24); Romans 5:12) and the nevessity of the new birth for his salvation (John 3:3-5).
6. Salvation: a complete and eternal salcation by God's grace alone, received as the gift of God through personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work (Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5-7; 1Peter 1:18-19)
7.The Church: One true Church, the body and bride of CHrist( Ephesians 1:22-23, 5:25), composed of all true believers of the present age (1Corinthians 12:12-13) and the organization of its mebers in local churches for worship, for edification of believers and for worldwide gospel witness, each local church being autonomous but cooperating in fellowship and work (Ephesians 4:11-16).
8. Christian Life: a life of righteousness, good works and separation unto God from the evil ways of the world (Romans 12:1-2), manifested by speaking the truth (James5:12), maintaining the sanctity of the home (Ephesians 5:22-6:4),settling differences between christians in accordance with the Word of God (Corinthians 6:1-8), not engaging in carnal strife but showing a Christ-like attitude toward all men ( Romans 12:17-21), exhibiting the fruit of the Spirit ( Galations 5:22-23) and maintaining a life of prayer (Ephesians 6:18; Phillipians 4:6), including the privilege, when sick, of calling for the elders of the church to pray and to anoint with oil in the name of the Lord (James 5:13-18).
9. Ordinances: the Christian should observe the ordinances of our Lord Jesus Christ which are: (1) baptism of believers by truine immersion (Matthew 28:19) and (2) the threefold communion service, consisting of the washing of the saints' feet (John 13:1-17), the Lord's Supper (1Corinthians 11:20-22, 33-34;Jude 12) and the communion of the bread and the cup (1Corinthians 11:23-26).
10. Satan: his existence and personality as the great adversary of God and His people ( Revelation 12:1-10), his judgment (John 12:31) and final doom ( Revelati9on 20:10).
11.Second Coming:the personal, visible and imminent return of Christ to remove His Church from the earth (1Thessalonians 4:16-17) before the tribulation (1Thessalonians 1:10; Revelation 3:10) and afterward tp descend with the Church to establish His millennial kingdom upon the earth ( Revelation 19:11-20:6).
12.Future Life: the conscious existence of the dead ( Phillipians 1:21-23; Luke 16:19-31), the resurrecion of the body (John 5:28-29), the judgment and reward of believers ( Romans 14:10-12; 2 Corinthians 5:10), the judgement and condemnation of unbelievers ( Revelation 20:11-15), the eternal life of the saved (John 3:16) and the eternal punichsment of the lost ( Matthew 25:46; Revelation 20:15).
CE Nationl pamphlet 1994 with verses quoted from New Internation version of the bible.